Tuesday, June 17, 2008

John Robbins and the Diet For A New America

Warning: Read this blog posting when you are not eating. The videos can be quite graphic. I was visibly disturbed by my own research (yes, I am literally shaking because I am a carnivore with an emerging vegetarian interest). All I seek is balance in my outlook and a re-evaluation of my own values.

Nona D. Andaya-Castillo, a Filipina Breastfeeding Advocate/International Board Certified Lactation Consultant and a practising vegetarian these past 17 years, turned me on to the "Diet for A New America." As I strive to live a more healthy lifestyle, I also take the time to gather research and knowledge from people who can help me with my Diabetes Type 2 condition.

PETA TV has a thought-provoking, compelling video that features John Robbins, son of the founder of the Baskin-Robbins ice-cream empire, who shows us why animal-based diets are killing Americans. You can also check out the YouTube videos (Part 1 to Part 8) of the same PETA TV documentary here.

Here is Part 1 of this YouTube video.



As a kid, John Robbins had been paralyzed from "the waist down" due to polio. Thus, his continuing interest in healing his body using a plant-based diet is John's prime directive.

What I learned from John is that: the food choices that are healthiest for our bodies, kindest to animals, environmentally-friendly, and ecologically-virtuous are vegetarian and vegan. John's "statement of consciousness, compassion, and care" resonate with my determination to be wiser about my lifestyle choices.

I am still in a state of shock. It will take a while before all of the knowledge and opinions I just imbibed will truly sink into my psyche. In the meantime, please take the time to check out the videos below.

Special Interview with Mr. John Robbins, Part I



Special Interview with Mr. John Robbins, Part II



Nona Andaya-Castillo is very busy bringing people and organizations together to organize the Second Synchronized Breastfeeding Worldwide Event, scheduled on October 11, 2008, as well as its launching during the World Breastfeeding Week on August 1 to 7, 2008. She is looking for public service, corporate, non-profit agency, and community-based partners.

COULD THIS BE YOU OR YOUR GROUP?

TO CONTACT NONA D. ANDAYA-CASTILLO:

Nona D. Andaya-Castillo, IBCLC
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant
The Breastfeeding Clinic: Your Partner from Pregnancy to Parenting
Telephone: 632-444-4716 632-271-0954
Children_For_Breastfeeding@yahoo.com
+63-919-839-5555 and nurturers2005@yahoo.com.ph

Founder:
Nurturers of the Earth
A support group for vegetarians and vegetarians-in-progress

Children for Breastfeeding
Mobilizing children to promote earth-friendly parenting

P.S. Here is something I learned from Nona about Formula Milk made by Wyeth that is supposed to be recalled in the Philippines. Very controversial!

No comments: