Friday, September 7, 2007

Petite Potatoes & Mushroom Bake

It's been many, many years since I've written down the recipes for the dishes that I prepare for my family. I'm finding out that documenting my research in simple food fare is helping me pay attention to what I am eating. Hopefully, as I get better at watching what I eat, the recipes that I will share with you will also reflect these changes.

I like baking my dishes. I prepare them, set my cellphone's alarm clock to remind me about the cooking time, and go back to work. I can be so focused with my projects that I always need an alarm clock to remind me that something's cooking in the oven, of course.

Melissa's home-grown baby Dutch yellow potatoes are SO yummy that you become a potato lover after trying them out the first time around. The potatoes don't even need to be buttered! These thin-skinned potatoes don't need to be peeled. Delicious every time --- whether they are fried or sauteed, broiled, or baked.

Since I don't like huge kitchen productions, this simple potato dish lasts me for four or five meals as a side dish or a quick "carb" hot hors d'oeuvres plate. I reheat a few at a time for about 1-1/2 minutes at 60% power in the microwave. I like my potatoes buttered --- so the extra calories mean another work-out for me. There are around 30 petite potatoes in each package. I bought this brand at the produce aisle of Safeway.


2 tbsps. butter or margarine
1 package of Melissa's Baby Dutch Yellow Potatoes, previously washed with Environne, then set out to dry for a few minutes in a colander
1 cup of sliced crimini mushrooms or other mushrooms of your choice
1-1/2 tbsps. chopped garlic
McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning
Sour Cream for garnish


Procedure:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

1. Using a 9" x 13" oven-proof rectangular glass dish (a.k.a. pyrex dish), dot the bottom of the dish with thin slices of butter, about 1 tbsp.
2. Add the potatoes.
3. Dot the top of the potatoes with the remaining 1 tbsp. butter.
4. Season with Montreal steak seasoning.
5. After the first 20 minutes, turn the potatoes so that they are evenly buttered.
6. Add the mushrooms and garlic on top of the potatoes.
7. After the next 20 minutes, mix the potatoes and mushroom-garlic mixture in the dish.
8. Take out the dish after 10 more minutes of cooking. Test the largest petite potato for doneness.
9. When serving, add a dollop of sour cream to garnish your potatoes.

Serves 4 to 5.

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

No comments: